Reading is a great way to learn and practice new math concepts like counting. And these 10 fun counting books for preschoolers, will put you ahead of the game because kids love them!
This post contains affiliate links. For more information please read my full disclosure.
10 Favorite Counting Books for Preschoolers
- Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin / Teaches the concepts of : counting 1 – 4, take away
Pete the Cat books are always a big hit. Children love him! In this fun story, Pete slowly loses one of his 4 buttons, until finally they’re all gone. Does he worry? Goodness no!
2. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle / Teaches the concept of : counting 1- 5
Chances are, you’ve heard of Eric Carle and the Hungry Caterpillar. The Hungry Caterpillar is a classic book that has been a favorite with toddlers and preschoolers for years. This book has cutouts so children to count the holes in the hungry caterpillar’s food as he eats his way through the story. This is also a great introduction to the life cycle of a butterfly for kids.
3. One Duck Stuck by Phyllis Root / Teaches the concept of : counting 1 -10
With fun sound effects, children love counting along as various marsh creatures try to help get duck unstuck from the muck.
4. The M & M’s Counting Book by Barbara McGrath / Teaches the concepts of : counting 1 -12
This is a great hands-on book. Children can count out their own M & Ms (how sweet – lol)
5. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed by Eileen Christelow / Teaches the concepts of : counting 1 to 5, counting down, and take away
This book is based on the children’s sing-along, Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. No doubt your child will be singing right along as these mischievous monkeys help your little one learn to count.
6. Ten Little Fish by Audrey Wood / Teaches the concepts: Counting 1- 10, counting down, and take away
This fun rhyming book is loaded with amazing illustrations. A school of 10 fish starts off on an underwater venture together, but one by one, each goes off on their own. It has a cute unexpected ending.
7. 5 Little Ducks by Raffi / Teaches the concepts of : counting 1- 5, counting down, and take away
This is another book based on a child’s favorite sing-along, Raffi’s 5 Little Ducks.
8. Ten Apple Up on Top! by Dr. Seuss / Teaches the concept of: Counting 1- 10
Three friends try to outdo each other to see who can get the most apples on their heads. When they each finally get 10, they run into some humorous challenges trying to keep them on their heads.
9. Ten Little Dinosaurs by Pattie Schnetzler / Teaches the concepts of: Counting 1 -10, counting down, and take away
A FUN book!! This book is done in rhyming text, with long dinosaur names and a set of large swirly, wiggle eyes poking through on each page. This is a big hit with preschoolers!
10. Ten Little Ladybugs by Melanie Gerth / Teaches the concepts of: counting 1 to 10, counting down, and take away
This is another fun interactive book for preschoolers. Children can touch each ladybug as they count along to the rhyming text. This is a great counting book for toddlers.
For more math activities for preschoolers be sure to check out: