Here’s a huge collection of letter H activities for preschoolers. These ideas are a great way to help you plan out learning activities for young children.
Whether you are doing a letter of the week or looking for fun things to help your child discover and learn more about the world around them, these letter H activity ideas have been designed to give your child new learning experiences.
This post contains affiliated links. For more information, please read my full disclosure.
Best Letter H Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers
- play hopscotch
- play with hula hoops
- hammer nails into a cardboard box
- build a cardboard house
- learn the Humpty Dumpty Nursery Rhyme
- practice humming
- plan a Hawaiian luau
- make the letter H with sticker hearts
- you can also print a block letter H onto cardstock using the free printables at the end of this post)
- make hot chocolate and curl up with a good book to read aloud together
- have a cookout with hamburgers and hot dogs
- punch holes with a hole puncher ( it’s also a great fine motor skill activity)
- play the game Hungry Hungry Hippos
- let your child make music with a harmonica
- learn a few hymns to sing together
- Set up a hummingbird feeder.
- Find a place where your child can ride a pony (a baby horse).
- Do you live near the shore? Look for horseshoe crabs.
- Research caring for a hermit crab or a hamster and see if it would make a good pet for your family.
- talk about opposites
- hot / cold
- high/ low
- huge / small
- heavy / light
- happy / sad
- Make the letter H with dot markers. You can write a large letter H on a piece of paper for them you use or you can print out the block letter H from the free Letter H Worksheets at the bottom of the page.
Letter H Sound
The Letter H makes the sound /h/ as in hat.
Here’s a great resource from Jack Hartman – Learn the Letter H. This is a fun way to explore letter recognition, the letter’s sound H makes, and what the upper case and lower case letter Hh looks
Letter H Crafts for Preschoolers
These letter H alphabet crafts for preschoolers will be so much fun as your child is learning about this new letter.
- This adorable Handprint Hermit Crab Craft by Preschool Connection is a fun craft using paint, sponges, googly eyes, and your child’s handprint.
- All you need is a piece of paper to Make Your Own Helicopter by Ben’s Coloring Pages
- Dip heart-shaped cookie cutters into paint and make a collage of hearts on white paper.
- Make an outline of a heart and let your child cover the outline in one of these ways:
- With some paint and a plastic fork this Fork Stamped Hedgehog Craft by Toddler at Play is sure to be a big hit with young learners.
Letter H Bible
- Read about Heaven from a children’s Bible
- Watch the Veggie Tale movie Madame Blueberry ( it’s about having a Happy Heart – being grateful)
Letter H Book List
Here are my favorite Letter H books. I’ve included Amazon links for your convenience but many of these can be found at your local library.
- A Head is for Hats by Mary Serfozo
- A House for a Hermit Crab by Eric Carle
- Blue Hat, Green Hat by Sandra Boynton
- But Not the Hippotamus by Sandra Boyton
- Do You Want a Hug? by Kevin Lewis ( Disney Frozen)
- Harry The Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
- Hiccups for Elephant by James Preller
- Hot Dog by Molly Coxe
- The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton
- The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone
- Who Took the Farmer’s Hat? by Joan Nodset
Letter H Worksheets for Preschoolers
For children who enjoy worksheets, they can continue learning with these free printables. Children color, learn how to write an uppercase letter H and a lowercase letter h, and practice the letter sound for Hh. Writing and coloring are also a great way to strengthen fine motor skills
You can find more fun activity ideas to use with the Letter H in Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers.