Let’s jump into the letter J. These fun hands-on, Letter J activities for preschoolers will help you plan out activities your child will be excited about!
This post contains affiliated links. For more information, please read my full disclosure.
Fun Letter J Activities for Preschoolers
Let’s make letter learning fun! Here’s a collection of hands-on activities for preschoolers learning the letter J.
- Practice juggling with beanbags.
- Learn the nursery rhymes: Jack and Jill and Jack Be Nibble
- Learn how to do jumping jacks ( a great gross motor skill)
- Learn how to use a jump rope
- For family movie night you could watch:
- The Jonah Movie (Veggie Tales)
- Josh and the Big Wall ( Veggie Tales)
- The Jungle Book cartoon (Disney)
- Joseph King of Dreams (Dream Works)
- Teach your child some simple kid friendly jokes. What better way to have fun, than to laugh together?
- Carve a jack o’ lantern
- Show your child how to jog.
- looking for a theme idea for the letter j?
- Make jello – There are alot of things you can do with jello.
- Chill jello in silicone-shaped ice cube trays.
- Chill jello on a tray and let your child cut out their own shapes or letters. They can try to spell their name with the letters.
- Color mix jello. Mix a package of blue and yellow jello together to get green, or mix red and blue to make purple, or yellow and red to make orange. CoComelon has a cute short YouTube video about color mixing with jello you might want to share with your child.
- Make fresh squeezed juice – Find your favorite fruit and make juice or juice smoothies together (fine motor skills )
- Listen to songs from Jack Hartman
- Try different flavors for jelly beans
- Sing songs ringing jingle bells
- Make the letter J with dot markers. You can write a large letter J on a piece of paper for them to use or you can print out the block letter J from the free Letter J Worksheets at the bottom of the page.
Letter J Sound
The letter J makes the sound /j/ as in jump.
Jack Hartman’s – Learn the Letter J. This is an excellent way to learn letter recognition, how the letter sounds, and the letter formation of upper case letter J and lower case letter j.
Fun Letter J Crafts for Preschoolers
Have extra fun with this collection of letter j crafts.
- This art project is a fun activity your child can make with a paper bag and some googly eyes. Paper Bag Jellyfish Craft by No Time For Flash Cards. This would be perfect to make during an Ocean theme.
- J is for Juice Craft by Teach Beside Me is a simple letter craft made with construction paper and a paper straw.
- Your child will have tons of fun imaginative play with this DIY Jet Pack by Early Learning Ideas
- This Jellyfish Craft by Fantastic Fun and Learning is an easy, fun activity even younger children can do with a piece of paper, some paint and googly eyes.
Letter J Bible Activities
There are several Bible characters that preschoolers can learn about for the letter J:
- The most important, of course, is Jesus! You could share a number of Bible stories from a children’s Bible or listen to Bible stories on Spotify with your preschooler about Jesus. You can also find lots of fun Traditional or Modern Bible songs for preschoolers on my Spotify playlists.
- Check out Jonah and the Whale Activities. You’ll find lots of fun ideas to share with your little one.
- Joshua and the Battle of Jerico
Letter J Books for Preschoolers
Use this fun collection of Letter J Books to share with your child .
- Clifford Gets a Job by Norman Bridwell
- Jack and the Bean Stalk by Carol Ottolenghi
- Johnny Appleseed by David Harrison
- Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg
- Jump! Scott Fisher
- No Jumping on the Bed! by Ted Arnold
- Over in the Jungle: A Rainforest Rhyme by Marianne Berkes
- Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw
- The Jazz Fly by Matthew Gollub ( A FUN book! Comes with a CD – a great way to introduce preschoolers to Jazz Music)
Letter J Worksheets for Preschoolers
Enjoy these free printables – letter j worksheets to help your preschooler improve fine motor skills by writing and identifying uppercase letter J and lowercase letter j and sounds.
Looking for more fun things to do with the alphabet? Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers has a huge collection of great activity ideas!
Also be sure to check out more letters of the alphabet where you will find a huge collection of letter activities for each letter of the alphabet.