Here’s an awesome collection of Letter A Activities for Preschoolers. These activities are organized into categories so you can pick and choose as you plan out learning activities for your little one.
Whether you are doing a letter of the week or looking for ways to help your child discover and learn more about the world around them, these letter A activity ideas have been designed to give your child new learning experiences. Have FUN Together!
This post contains affiliated links. For more information, please read my full disclosure.
Letter A Activities for Preschoolers
There are so many fun ways to teach a new letter. Books music and hands-on activities will help your preschooler learn in a fun way. This is important because having fun and being interested in what they are learning helps children master it in a way they’re more likely to remember.
Let’s start with recognizing the letter and learning what sound it makes.
The letter A makes a short sound as /a/ in apple. It also makes a long sound where it says its own name as in /a/ for ape. When preschoolers are just starting to learn their letter sounds it’s best to avoid words that can be confusing. For instance, words like airplane and artic.
Here is an awesome video by Jack Hartman – Letter A Alphabet Song for Kids. This is a fun way to learn to recognize the letter A and the two sounds it makes.
Ideas for Letter A Activities for Preschoolers
Here’s a collection of fun letter A activities you can share with your preschooler.
- Visit an apple farm
- Visit an aquarium (or a pet store with small aquariums)
- Alligator Small World Sensory Play by And Next Comes L
- Play with plastic animals or stuffed animals
- Do an Ant Theme – Check out Ant Activities for Preschoolers for some great ideas!
- Explore sink and float activities with apples
- Make apple sauce or an apple pie together
- Have an apple taste test to see which apples they like the best
- taste a green, red and yellow apple
- try different varieties of apples
- Use animal crackers to work on counting
- Find pairs of animal cookies and pretend they are going on Noah’s ark
- Pretend to be astronauts and try “space” freeze-dried ice cream. The link will take you to Amazon but you can find it in the camping sections of stores.
- Collect acorns
- Identify the parts of an apple (skin, seed, stem…)
- Explain what it means to sing A cappella ( singing without music ) There’s a fun YouTube version of Baby Shark song in a cappella you can use to illustrate the concept to your child.
Animals That Start With A
- Suggested activities for learning about animals that start with the letter A.
- visit a zoo
- read preschool stories or magazines about animals
- watch nature videos
- play with plastic animals, animal puzzles, or animal puppets.
- Draw or color pictures of animals.
- What can you teach?
- Preschoolers can learn the names of the animals, what they look like, what sounds they make, what they eat, and where they live. Here’s a list of some animals beginning with the letter A:
Letter A Crafts for Preschoolers
Continue to explore the letter A with these easy, fun letter A craft ideas for preschoolers.
- Letter A Handprint Craft by Fun Handprint Art
- Ant Spoon Craft by Danielle’s Place
- Alligator Craft by Little Family Fun
- Paper Plate Apple Lacing Craft by Kids Craft Room
Letter A Bible Lessons for Preschoolers
- Adam and Eve – Read about Adam and Eve in a children’s Bible your preschooler can understand. Some topics you could use:
- God created Adam and Eve
- Adam names the Animals
- Adam and Eve disobey God
- You might also enjoy watching Bible story episodes with your child on Amazon Prime or YouTube like:
- The Beginner’s Bible or Superbook (for older preschoolers- you may want to preview first )
Letter A Books for Preschoolers
Here are my favorite A books. These books can be a springboard for other learning activities.
- I Saw an Ant on the Railroad Track by Joshua Prince
- Imogene‘s Antlers by David Small
- Annabelle’s Awful Waffle by Tracey Dils
- About Arachnids by Cathryn Sill
- Zach’s Alligator by Shirley Mozelle
- Ten Apples Up on Top! by Dr Seuss
- Aloha is...by Lei Aloha
- I Want to Be an Astronaut by Byron Barton
- The Grasshopper and the Ants by Margret Wise Brown
- Dr Seus’s ABCs
- The Pledge of Allegiance by Scholastic Books
- Apples for Everyone by Jill Esbaum
Letter A Worksheets for Preschoolers
If your child enjoys worksheets they will have fun with these as they continue to work on the letter A.
More Letter A Activities for Preschoolers
Here are more fun activities for your to use with the letter A
- Ant Activities for Preschoolers by Tothood 101
- Printable Letter A Activities to do with Kids by Fun with Mama
- 15 Simple Letter A Activities by ABCDee Learning
- Letter A Crafts for Preschoolers by The Measured Mom
- 12 Awesome Letter A Crafts & Activities by Kids Activities.com
- 20 Fun Activities to Teach Your Preschooler the Letter A by Teaching Expertise
Looking for more letter activities? Check out Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers for ideas with endless possibilities.
Be sure to check out more Language Art activities: