Here’s some really fun letter R preschool activities. These ideas will help you make learning fun for your little one.
This post contains affiliated links. For more information, please read my full disclosure.
Letter R Preschool Activities
This collection of letter R activities is loaded with fun educational activities.
- Play red light green light
- Learn the nursery rhyme Ring Around the Rosies
- Play out in the rain together.
- Look for rainbows and it rains.
- Go on a rectangle hunt.
- Search for things that are red.
- Pretend to be robots.
- Try learning to jump rope.
- Use a ramp to have a Matchbox car race.
- Use rhythm sticks to the beat of the music. (any sticks will do)
- Try playing a recorder
- Strip fruit loops on a piece of yarn to make a rainbow necklace.
- Read lots of books! Read about anything your little learner is interested in. Check out these books list for some ideas.
- Enjoy sensory play with rice.
Letter R Sound
The Letter R makes the sound /r/ as in rug.
Skip the flash cards and listen to Jack Hartman – Learn the Letter R, instead. This is a fun way to explore letter recognition the letter sounds r makes, and what the upper case R and lowercase letter r looks like.
Letter R Themes You Can Explore
- Learn about the rainforest
- Talk about rockets and outer space.
- Learn how to use a ruler while doing simple measuring activities.
- Learn about reptiles.
Animals That Start With R
Depending on where you live, there are several animals on this list you can look for in the wild or at a zoo.
Letter R Crafts for Preschoolers
Your little one will love these easy, fun Letter R crafts.
- Here’s a fun craft project preschoolers will love – Rubber Band Printing by Artful Parent
- Check out this cute simple craft – Paper Plate Rainbow Fish Craft by Arty Crafty Kids
- Rainbow Sponge Paint by Hands On As We Grow is a fun craft where young learners create their own rainbows!
- Find a rock and decorate it with googly eyes and feathers like this Rock Chick Craft by The Craft Train
Letter R Bible
- Learn about why God created rainbows. Check out Noah’s Ark for Kids Activities to find books, craft ideas, and resources to help you share the story of Noah with your preschooler.
- The story of Ruth is another good topic. You could share the story of Ruth and Noami or the story of Ruth with Boaz. My First Hands-on Bible has both of these stories.
Letter R Books
Here’s some great Letter R books preschoolers love!
- The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
- All The Colors of the Rainbow by Allan Fowler
- Rabbits Pajama Party (Sequencing ) by Frank Remkiewicz
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
- Row, Row, Row Your Boat by Iza Trapani
- Little Red Riding Hood by Candice Ransom
- Baby Racoon by Beth Spanjian
- Baby Animals in the Rain Forests by Jennifer Schofield
- Over in the Jungle: A Rainforest Rhyme by Marianne Berkes
- A Rainbow of My Own by Don Freeman
- Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins
- Run, Roadrunner, Run! Trish Kline
Letter R Worksheets for Preschoolers
Here are free printable activities for preschoolers who enjoy worksheets.
Looking for more fun, hands-on letter activities? Check out Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers.