Here’s a really fun collection of letter R preschool activities. These ideas and word lists are organized into categories so you can pick and choose as you plan out learning activities for your little one.
Whether you are doing a letter of the week or looking for ways to help your child discover and learn more about the world around them, these letter R activity ideas have been designed to give your child new learning experiences.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information please read my full disclosure.
Letter R Preschool Activities
- Play red light green light
- Ring around the Rosies
- Play out in the rain together.
- Look for rainbows.
- Go on a rectangle hunt.
- Search for things that are red.
- Pretend to be robots.
- Try jump roping.
- Use a ramp to have a Matchbox car race.
- Use rhythm sticks to the beat of the music. (any sticks will do)
- Try playing a recorder
Letter R Sound
The Letter R makes the sound /r/ as in rug.
Letter R Themes You Can Explore
- Learn about the rainforest
- Talk about rockets and outer space.
- Learn how to use a ruler while doing simple measuring activities.
- Learn about reptiles.
Animals That Start With R
Depending on where you live, there are several animals on this list you can look for in the wild or at a zoo.
Letter R Crafts for Preschoolers
Your little one will love these easy, fun Letter R craft ideas.
- Paper Plate Rainbow Fish Craft by Arty Crafty Kids
- Rainbow Sponge Paint by Hands On As We Grow
- Rock Chick Craft by The Craft Train
- Rainbow in a Jar Kids Craft by A Little Pinch of Perfect
Letter R Bible
- The story of Noah is a good preschool Bible Topic for the Letter R – it features lots of rain and a beautiful rainbow.
- The story of Ruth is another good topic. You could share the story of Ruth and Noami or the story of Ruth with Boaz. My First Hands-on Bible has both of these stories.
Letter R Books
Here’s some great Letter R books preschoolers love!
- The Relatives Came by Cynthia Rylant
- All The Colors of the Rainbow by Allan Fowler
- Rabbits Pajama Party (Sequencing ) by
- The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
- Row, Row, Row your Boat by Iza Trapani
- Little Red Riding Hood by Candice Ransom
- Baby Racoon by Beth Spanjian
- Baby Animals in the Rain Forests by Jennifer Schofield
- Over in the Jungle: A Rainforest Rhyme by Marianne Berkes
- A Rainbow of My Own by Don Freeman
- Ten Red Apples by Pat Hutchins
- Run, Roadrunner, Run! Trish Kline
Letter R Worksheets for Preschoolers
Looking for more fun, hands-on letter activities? Check out Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers.