Here’s a super fun collection of letter S preschool activities to help you plan out learning activities for your little one. These activities are a great way to your child new learning experiences and help as they discover and learn more about the letters of the alphabet.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, please read my full disclosure.
Letter S Preschool Activities
Here’s a collection of hands-on letter s activities
- Practice writing letters and/or numbers by writing
- in sand with sticks
- in a shallow container of sand or salt with their finger
- Explore shadows
- Put a piece of black construction paper outside on a sunny day and let your child place a toy on it and trace it with a white crayon. Animal figures like dinosaurs work well.
- Look for shadows on the ground.
- Make shadow puppets with your hands.
- Play in the sand and build sandcastles.
- Lay outside on a blanket at night and look up at the stars.
- Try to find a couple of simple constellations like the big and little dipper.
- Find a local place to pick strawberries or start growing your own.
- Play with play dough. Roll out play dough and let your child form them in the shape of an S (or a snake)
- Make your favorite soup together.
- Play with shaving cream is so much fun. Spread some on the table and let your child draw pictures or practice writing letters.
- Play Simon Says
- Play traditional Red Light Green Light (Stop and Go) or try this motion sensor game with 3 different activities to play.
- Shows for kids
- Super Why[Series]
- Sesame Street [Series]
- Sheerluck Holms (Veggie Tale)
- If it’s winter and you have snow build a snowman or go sledding.
- Plant sunflower seeds.
- Themes you might explore:
- Seasons (all 4)
- Identify what stripes are and look for patterns around the house.
- Explore shapes. Go on a shape hunt. Pick a shape and have your child try to find things around the house that have that shape. Check out Shape Activities for Preschoolers and The Ultimate List of Books About Shapes
- Learn the words to the Star-Spangled Banner.
Letter S Sound
The Letter S makes the sound /s/ as in sun.
Check out this Letter S Alphabet Song for Kids by Jack Hartman. It’s a fun way to help preschoolers learn to recognize the letter S, learn the letter sounds, and how it’s written.
Animals That Start With S
There are a number of animals young children can explore that start with the letter S. Quite a few of them are sea animals. If possible, you may want to take a trip to visit an aquarium in your area so they can see some of these animals up close.
- Aquarium/ Sea Animals
- for more sea animal theme ideas check out Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- sand dollar
- Other Animals to Explore
- snapping turtle
- snow leopard
- snowy owl
- spider monkey
- stag beetle
Letter S Crafts for Preschoolers
Your little ones will really enjoy these Letter S arts and crafts ideas. They are easy and FUN!
- Flower Suncatcher Nature Craft by Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds
- Giant Shark Suncatcher by and Next Comes L
- Baby Shark Paper Plate Kids Craft by A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Paper Plate Star Fish by First Palette
- Simple Spider Craft by Modern Preschool
- Decorate the block letter S found in the free worksheets below. You could use:
- Ink stamps
- dot markers
- star stickers
- cut up straws
Suggested Activities: Here are several Letter S Bible topics you can share with your little one. You can read the story from a children’s Bible or listen to a short story on our Spotify Preschool Bible Stories.
Letter S Bible
Ideas for topics you could use for Letter S Bible
- Jesus Calming the Storm ( Matt 8:23-27)
- The Star of Bethlehem ( The Christmas Story)
- Sin ( the bad things we do)
- Savior (How Jesus came to save us from our sins)
Letter S Books
Here are my favorite Letter S books.
- Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street? by Eleanor Hudson
- Hurray For Spring! by Patricia Hubbell
- I’m Sorry by Gina and Mercer Mayer
- Just Me and My Little Sister by Mercer Mayer
- Just Shopping with Mom by Mercer Mayer
- Little Soccer by Brad Herzog
- Big Shark, Little Shark by Anna Membrino
- Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin
- Poppleton in the Spring by Mark Teague
- Sadie and the Snowman by Allen Morgan
- Sheep in a Shop by Nancy Shaw ( also look for more in the Sheep Series)
- Sky Tree by Thomas Locker ( a beautifully illustrated book about seasons)
- Spot Sleep’s Over by Eric Hill ( and other books in the Spot Series)
- Surprise! by Mercer Mayer
- The Itsy Bitsy Spider by Iza Trapani
- The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- When Will it Be Spring by Catherine Walters
More Letter S Activities for Preschoolers
- 18 Sweet Letter S Crafts and Activities by Kids Activities.com
- 15 FUN Letter S Crafts & Activities by ABCDee Learning
- 5 Fun Activities for the Letter S by Teaching Mama
Letter S Worksheets for Preschoolers
If your child enjoys worksheets check out these free alphabet printables. Practice letter formation, letter identification. Includes upper case and lower case letters. Writing and coloring are also a great way to strengthen fine motor skills.
Looking for worksheets for all 26 letters? Check out Tothood 101’s Etsy Store and use my promo code: ABCWORKSHEETS50 to get 50% off as a thank you for visiting my website!