Here’s a super fun collection of letter S preschool activities to help you plan out learning activities for your little one. These activities will give your child new learning experiences and help as they discover and learn more about the world around them.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information please read my full disclosure.
Letter S Preschool Activities
- Practice writing letters and/or numbers in sand with sticks.
- Explore shadows
- Put a piece of black construction paper outside on a sunny day and let your child place a toy on it and trace it with a white crayon. Animal figures like dinosaurs work well.
- Look for shadows on the ground.
- Make shadow puppets with your hands.
- Play in the sand and build sandcastles.
- Lay outside on a blanket at night and look up at the stars.
- Try to find a couple of simple constellations like the big and little dipper.
- Find a local place to pick strawberries or start growing your own.
- Make your favorite soup together.
- Play Simon Says
- Play Red Light Green Light (Stop and Go)
- Shows for kids
- Super Why[Series]
- Sesame Street [Series]
- Sheerluck Holms (Veggie Tale)
- If it’s winter and you have snow build a snowman or go sledding.
- Plant sunflower seeds.
- Themes you might explore:
- Seasons (all 4)
- Identify what stripes are and look for patterns around the house.
- Go on a shape hunt. Pick a shape and have your child try to find things around the house that have that shape.
- Learn the words to the Star-Spangled Banner.
Letter S Sound
The Letter S makes the sound /s/ as in sun.
Animals That Start With S
Your child has a number of animals they can explore that start with the letter S. Quite a few of them are sea animals. If possible, you may want to take a trip to visit an aquarium in your area so they can see some of these animals up close.
- Aquarium/ Sea Animals
- for more sea animal theme ideas check out Ocean Activities for Preschoolers
- sand dollar
- Other Animals to Explore
- snapping turtle
- snow leopard
- snowy owl
- spider monkey
- stag beetle
Letter S Crafts for Preschoolers
Your little ones will really enjoy these Letter S craft ideas. They are easy and FUN!
- Flower Suncatcher Nature Craft by Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds
- Giant Shark Suncatcher by and Next Comes L
- Baby Shark Paper Plate Kids Craft by A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Paper Plate Star Fish by First Palette
- Simple Spider Craft by Modern Preschool
- Decorate the block letter S found in the free worksheets below. You could use:
- Ink stamps
- star stickers
- cut up straws
Suggested Activities: Here are several Letter S Bible topics you can share with your little one. You can read the story from a children’s Bible or listen to a short story on our Spotify Preschool Bible Stories.
Letter S Bible
Ideas for topics you could use for Letter S Bible:
- Jesus Calming the Storm ( Matt 8:23-27)
- The Star of Bethlehem ( The Christmas Story)
- Sin ( the bad things we do)
- Savior (How Jesus came to save us from our sins)
Letter S Books
Here are my favorite Letter S books.
- Can You Tell Me How to Get to Sesame Street? by Eleanor Hudson
- Hurray For Spring! by Patricia Hubbell
- I’m Sorry by Gina and Mercer Mayer
- Just Me and My Little Sister by Mercer Mayer
- Just Shopping with Mom by Mercer Mayer
- Little Soccer by Brad Herzog
- Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes by Eric Litwin
- Poppleton in the Spring by Mark Teague
- Sadie and the Snowman by Allen Morgan
- Sheep in a Shop by Nancy Shaw ( also look for more in the Sheep Series)
- Sky Tree by Thomas Locker ( a beautifully illustrated book about seasons)
- Spot Sleep’s Over by Eric Hill ( and other books in the Spot Series)
- Surprise! by Mercer Mayer
- The Itsy Bitsy Spider by Iza Trapani
- The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
- When Will it Be Spring by Catherine Walters
Letter S Worksheets for Preschoolers
You can find more ideas to use with the Letter S in Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers.