Let’s dive into Letter D! In this article, you will find plenty of FUN letter D activities for preschoolers!
This post contains affiliated links. For more information, please read my full disclosure.
Letter D Activities for Preschoolers
Here are some of our favorite letter D activities.
Letter D Sound
Letter D makes the sound /d/ as in d
Jack Hartman’s Letter D Alphabet Song for Kids is a fun way to help preschoolers learn to recognize the letter D, the sound it makes, and how it’s written.
- Play Duck Duck Goose
- If you don’t have enough children you can use stuffed animals in a circle and then you can pick up the animal your child chooses and chase your child with it.
- Play Pin the Tail on the Donkey
- Learn about dump trucks
- Dance – you’ll find plenty of songs on Favorite Preschool Songs on Spotify by Theme
- Dig in the dirt (no explanation needed – lol)
- Play Doggy Doggy Where’s Your Bone
- Pick dandelions
- Play with Domino’s
- Here’s 2 ideas:
- Play with your child by matching dots
- Set up domino so the topple over onto one another (YouTube link)
- Here’s 2 ideas:
- Play with dolls / dollhouse
- Daydream – grab a blanket and lay out under the clouds and just daydream together
- Make drums out of containers, pots, or boxes.
Animals That Start With D
Suggested activities: find out what each animal looks like, what sounds they make, what they eat, and where they live, visit a zoo, read preschool stories or magazines about the animal, watch nature videos, play with plastic animals, animal puzzles, or animal puppets, draw or color animal pictures of the animal.
Learn about dinosaurs with these Awsome Dinosaur Activities for Preschoolers
Letter D Crafts for Preschoolers
A week’s worth of easy, fun Letter D craft ideas for your preschoolers to create.
- Cute Paper Bag Duck Kids Craft by I Heart Crafty Things
- Easy 3D Paper Plate Doughnut Craft by Arts and Crackers
- Secret Life of Pets Max the Dog Craft by Craft Create Cook
- Learning About Dolphins: Fact Craft Spinner by A Little Pinch of Perfect
- Dinosaur Stomp
- Let your child dip the feet of a plastic dinosaur into paint and then stomp the dinosaur onto paper.
Letter D Bible
Suggested Letter D Bible Topics:
- David and the Giant
- Daniel and the Lions Den
- if you haven’t already, you may want to start a family devotion time
Letter D Books
- Dinosaur Dance by Sandra Boynton
- Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
- Go, Dog. Go! by P.D. Eastman
- Harry The Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
- Have You Seen My Dinosaur? Jon Surgal
- How Do Dinosaurs Say Good Night? Jane Yolen
- If the Dinosaurs Came Back by Bernard Most
- If You Give a Dog a Doughnut by Laura Numeroff
- Just Me and My Dad by Mercer Mayer
- My “d” Book by Jane Belk Moncure
- No DoDos by Amanda Wallwork
- One Duck Stuck by Phyllis Root
- Suppose You Meet a Dinosaur – A First Book of Manners by Judy Sierra
- Ten Little Dinosaurs by Pattie Schnetzler
- The Lost Dinosaur Bone by Mercer Mayer
- Two Dog Biscuits by Beverly Clearly
- What Should Danny Do by Adir Lev
Foods That Start With D
Suggestions: Make a new dessert with your little one to share with the family.
- dried fruit
Shows for Kids
Every family has different values when it comes to what they want their children to see. To find out if a movie is right for your little ones, movie reviews can be a big help.
- Dave and the Giant Pickle (Veggie Tales version of David and Goliath)
- Daniel Tigers Neighborhood [series]
Science Words that Start with D
Letter D Worksheets for Preschoolers
If your child enjoys worksheets they will have fun with these as they continue to work on the letter D.
Looking for worksheets for all 26 letters? Check out Tothood 101’s Etsy Store
More Letter D Activities for Preschoolers
- Try some of these learning activities from Do You Dare to Try These 20 Awesome Letter “D” Activities for Preschoolers? from Teaching Expertise
- Check out these 13 Darling Letter D Crafts & Activities by Kids Activity Blog
- Here’s a great collection of Preschool Letter D Activities by Teach Beside Me
- These Letter of the Week: Crafts to Teach Letter D by Homeschool Preschool are adorable.
Be sure to check out Alphabet Activities for Preschoolers for more ideas.